Frequently Asked Questions.
Office hours are 8:00am to 5:00pm, Monday through Friday (excluding National Holidays) Saturday 10:00am to 3:00pm by appointment. If you are unable to meet during these hours, please call to see if a later appointment is available.
What is the Application process?
Link. This application is interactive. Just download it, open it in Acrobat, fill out the information, print and sign.
Applications for apartment homes will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis and are subject to the availability of the apartment type requested. Rental Rates are subject to change without notice.
An Application for Residency must be completed and maintained for each legal adult prospective resident who will be living in the apartment and/or is on the lease agreement. A separate Application may be needed from anyone guaranteeing the lease obligation or contributing to the payment of rent. Any false information will constitute grounds for rejection of the application and, if discovered after the lease has been signed, the right to possession and/or the lease may be terminated.
Each person must complete an application and will jointly qualify for the apartment. Each roommate is fully responsible for the entire rental payment, and each must execute the Residential Rental Agreement [Lease] and its supporting documents.
Based on the credit report, we may choose to accept or reject an applicant, or seek additional requirements for approving the lease. These requirements may include, but are not limited to, additional documentation of income or employment, additional rental references, an additional deposit, additional verification of the Social Security Number, or the guarantee of the lease by a qualified guarantor.
Flats KC Management may obtain a background report in connection with the Application and such report may include information on the applicant’s credit and criminal histories. This application may be rejected based on information contained in such reports.
KC Urban Living’s Resident Selection Criteria includes:
Previous rental history, current income, credit history, failure to provide accurate or complete information on the application form, and any other legitimate non-discriminatory information that might be relevant to the resident selection process.
If the applicant does not meet the selection criteria, or if the applicant provides inaccurate or incomplete information, the application may be rejected and the Non-Refundable Application Fee, and Guarantor Fee (if any), will not be refunded.
Up to 36 months of rental or housing history may be verified on present and previous residence. A positive record of prompt monthly payment, sufficient notice, and no damages is expected. For applicants who are homeowners, payment history should be available on the credit report, if not permission must be granted to verify payment history with the bank or lending institution.
What about Renter’s Insurance?
KC Urban Living Management requires that residents maintain a renter’s insurance policy throughout the term of the lease. In the event a resident has an accident that damages the apartment, renter’s insurance is designed to protect the resident and KC Urban Living Management from disputes over legal liability for the accident.
Having insurance protection for yourself and your possessions is very important. Similar to home insurance, for only dollars a month, renters insurance protects you in situations that everyone can face: fire, theft, water damage and other unforeseen circumstances your landlord’s policy doesn’t cover.
Renters insurance typically provides coverage, up to the limits you select, for specified items and situations, including:
- Personal property (furniture, electronics, computer equipment, clothing, etc.)
- Personal liability if someone is hurt, whether in your home or away from it
- Damage to your apartment or home caused by a covered loss
With proper renter’s insurance, your personal property inside your apartment will generally be covered if it’s affected by any of the following:
Fire, Smoke damage, Theft, Collapse of the building due to weather, Water leakage or overflow, Freezing of plumbing, air conditioning and more.
*You can’t rely on KC Urban Living Management’s insurance to cover your valuables, our insurance only covers the building structure and not your personal property.
What do I need to do before Move-In?
- Enroll in a Renter’s Insurance Policy.
- Ensure that you have set up all necessary utilities (see “Setting Up Utilities FAQ section” section above) for your new apartment home in your name, effective for your move-in date. You will need confirmation numbers from utility companies on your move-in date.
- Lease Signing
- Move-in Inspection
- Move-in Scheduling Slots are required at some communities in order to schedule freight or other elevator usage.
Pets, are only allowed with written consent. A pet deposit will be required for all pets and will vary by complex. In addition to the deposit, a monthly pet rent will apply depending on the number of pets.
- Pet Types Allowed: Dogs, Cats, Fish.
- Number of Pets Per Apartment: Maximum of 2.
- Pet Weight Limit: No weight limits.
- Restricted Breeds: No aggressive breeds or animals
- Total Pet Deposit: $350.00
- Non-Refundable Pet Deposit: $200.00
- Additional Monthly Pet Fees: $20.00 per month pet rent for the first pet and $10 for second pet.
- Rent is due on the first day of the month. Rent is considered late after the 5th day of the month, at which time, late fees will be assessed. These fees are as due beginning the 6th day of the month as follows: $50.00 late fee plus $5.00 per day until ALL fees are paid in full. NO CASH ACCEPTED
- Your rent check should be made payable to:__(varies depending on property)_. If you do not have a drop box on your property you may use the rent box at the leasing office located at 215 Emanuel Cleaver II Blvd, Unit #1E, Kansas City, MO 64112.
Checks post marked after the 5th will be assessed late fees.
- We offer an automatic draft option (ACH) for your convenience. If you would like to take advantage of the automatic draft we will need a voided copy of your check two weeks prior to a new month. Please contact management to get started.
If your building offers off street parking, any/all spaces are unreserved.
Please note, any unauthorized vehicles parked in reserved spaces will be towed at the vehicle owner’s expense.
It is your responsibility to transfer any needed utilities into your name before your move-in date. Below, are the utilities your are responsible for, and their contact numbers. Please provide confirmation numbers to KC Urban Living Management prior to picking up keys.
- Electricity – Kansas City Power and Light – 816.471.KCPL (5275)
- Gas – Missouri Gas Energy – 816.756.5252
- Water – Kansas City Water Department – 816.513.0123
- Telephone – Southwestern Bell – 1.888.294.8433
- Cable – Time Warner Cable – 816.358.8833 (provides phone, cable and internet)
- Cable/Internet – Google Fiber- 1.866.777.7550 (Cable and internet)
Dumpsters are located on each property provided the property does not offer valet trash services. Valet trash services picks up nightly on Sunday through Thursday nights with recycling picked up twice a week.
** If you recycle, please be courteous to your neighbors by making regular drop-offs, stored recyclables are inviting to insects.
You may call the Office at any time to request a work order. Our number is 816.454.3118. If no one is available to answer your call, please leave a voice mail message in the Work Order Mailbox. When you call, please leave the following information: your day and evening telephone numbers, your name, your complete address, including unit #; and a brief, but detailed description of the problem.
Please note: No one is allowed to complete his/her own repair work. Any attempts to repair may result in assessments for damages and/or labor costs to restore the unit.
Should an emergency maintenance issue arise after normal business hours (this is anything that puts you or the property in danger), phone the Emergency Line immediately.
Leave your name, telephone number, and a detailed description of the problem. Please phone the Office during normal business hours.
Should you find yourself locked out after office hours you can call the emergency pager number for maintenance to let you in. Please note, there is a $100.00 cash, lock out fee, payable to the person you lets you in, NO EXCEPTIONS.